Do You Know Who You’re Talking To?
The business of communication can be boiled down to two major concepts: knowing how to effectively send a message and knowing who you are sending the message to. Of course, that is an overly simplified way of thinking about the communications industry. However, the latter can be much harder than it sounds.
One audience that I work with heavily is the mass affluent. Thus, in order to get to know that demographic better, my colleague and I recently watched the Nielsen “Affluence in America: A 360° View of the Mass Affluent” webinar. What we found out is that there are a lot of distinctions within this demographic.
So, how well do you know the mass affluent consumer? Take our short quiz, developed from Nielsen’s research, to find out. Keep track of your answers and check them against the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. What age group do mass affluent consumers fall into?
2. Which of the following cities is not a top 10 market for the mass affluent?
3. Which of the following sentences describes the mass affluent?
A. Don’t have social media profiles
B. Live in large cities
C. Early adopters of new technology
4. Which of the following magazines is not in the top 10 print publications for the mass affluent?
B. Robb Report
5. When it comes to ethnic groups, how likely are Asian Americans to be mass affluent consumers?
A. 15% more likely than average
B. 36% more likely than average
C. 65% less likely than average
6. Which of the following channels is in the top 10 TV channels for the mass affluent?
C. Bloomberg TV
7. On average, how much time per month do mass affluent households spend using a DVR?
A. 7 hours, 40 minutes
B. 12 hours, 16 minutes
C. 14 hours, 32 minutes
8. On average, hour much time per month do mass affluent households spend watching TV?
A. 112 hours, 25 minutes
B. 148 hours, 49 minutes
C. 192 hours, 48 minutes
9. On average, how many hours per month do mass affluent consumers spend online?
A. 23 hours
B. 33 hours
C. 43 hours
10. What percent of mass affluent consumers have a tablet?
Answers: (1) A, (2) C, (3) C, (4) B, (5) B, (6) A, (7) C, (8) A, (9) A, (10) B
How many did you get right? Leave your quiz score in the comments.
• 8-10: Consider yourself a mass affluent master.
• 5-7: You’ve got a little brushing up to do.
• Fewer than 5: Hit the books.
No matter the audience, targeted messaging is essential. As communications professionals, it’s worth investing the time and understanding into each demographic we work with.
Connect with Megan: